Wednesday, January 20, 2016

COMIC REVIEW: The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat (And Pokey!) aka Grumpy Cat Volume 1

Grumpy Cat Volume 1
(Goodreads)
Dynamite proudly presents the comic book misadventures of Grumpy Cat, featuring "The World's Grumpiest Cat" and her brother, Pokey! With her ever-present pout and sassy disposition, Grumpy Cat has won the hearts of people everywhere. Now, her unbearable cuteness and infectious sourpuss are featured in an all-new, all-sensational collection of comic stories, sure to make fans of all ages laugh! If you love the memes, the videos, and that irresistible scowl, then get ready for the wildly fun antics of Grumpy Cat and Pokey!
Thank you to Diamond Book Illustrators at NetGalley for this eARC!

Comic books intimidate me. It's something I've always wanted to get into but always back away from due to the numbers and editions and universes available. I'd love to start...but where? Do I find the first one or do I pick up the latest one and what's the difference between titles based on the same character? Are they the same character or is it a completely different story??

So many questions. 

Thankfully I didn't have to ask any of those for Grumpy Cat Volume 1. I love cats in general (understatement) and love Grumpy Cat (real name Tardar Sauce) ever since she surfaced the face of the internet in 2012. 

I mean, what's not to love?? Remember when she was on Anderson Cooper's talk show?

Grumpy Cat on Anderson Cooper Live
So tiny. 

Or when she basically had Disneyland all to herself and met Grumpy?


Grumpy Cat Volume 1 is a fun and easy read that highlights Grumpy Cat's snarky bad temper and her brother's innocent enthusiasm. They go on adventures you'd expect (dealing with dogs and missing cat treats) and wouldn't expect (alien invasions and becoming super heroes). I don't think this series will become as addictive to children as Captain Underpants, but it's definitely a cute read that will keep you entertained. 

Volume 1 comes with 11 different stories that are sometimes as short as one or two pages. The only (slightly) negative comment I have is that the different artwork threw me off until I realized there were different artists for each story and it wasn't just a case of inconsistency. 

Grumpy Cat Superhero
Grumpy Cat in "Detective Cats"

Grumpy Cat and Pokey in "I Know What You Did Last Summer (I Just Don't Care)"

Grumpy Cat and Pokey in "I Know What You Did Last Summer (I Just Don't Care)"

No comments:

Post a Comment