Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Book Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
(Goodreads)
Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?” 
Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you’ve come to the right book, mostly! 
In Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy invites readers on a tour of her life and her unscientific observations on romance, friendship, and Hollywood, with several conveniently placed stopping points for you to run errands and make phone calls. Mindy Kaling really is just a Girl Next Door—not so much literally anywhere in the continental United States, but definitely if you live in India or Sri Lanka.
You know how sometimes you come across people who are funny, loud, and talk a lot but you can never see yourself being friends with them because they're too much to handle?

Yes? No?

Maybe it's just me being an introvert and generally quiet person BUT the person I'm describing is Mindy Kaling for me (I'd definitely be intimidated being in the same room as her). It's not everyday that I pick up a non-fiction novel (honestly besides Anne Frank's diary, other unmemorable school books, and Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis I don't think I've had much exposure to non-fiction). But I love to laugh (one of my favorite things to do) and had been looking forward to reading this book for a long time.

Mindy's strong personality definitely comes through in her memoir. At times I would even say it felt like listening to an audio book because her voice is so engaging and unforgettable (I was an avid The Office viewer years ago). Mindy is definitely funny but I wouldn't say I was clutching my stomach or rolling on the floor from her observations. I think there was only one moment that actually made me burst out laughing even though I was at work.

The chapters in this memoir are short, usually no more than five or six pages and involve a lot of lists, pictures (which I loved), and random topics ranging from a bad experience at a cupcake shop to being almost fired from her Office job. In the entire book there was only one section that I glossed over (a short chapter titled "Married People Need to Step it Up").

I think the best comparison I can make for this novel is like reading a women's interest magazine while relaxing in bed or waiting for your nails to dry. It's funny, friendly, and entertaining but won't exactly change your life's perspective.
Memorable Quote(s) 
"One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about." (43)
On her writing process (which I totally relate to): 
"I've found my productive-writing-to-screwing-around ration to be one to seven. So, for every eight-hour day of writing, there is only one good productive hour of work being done. The other seven hours are preparing for writing: pacing around the house, collapsing cardboard boxes for recycling, reading the DVD extras pamphlet form the BBC Pride & Prejudice, getting snacks lined up for writing, and YouTubing toddlers who learned the "Single Ladies" dance. I know. Isn't that horrible? So, basically, writing this piece took me the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Enjoy it accordingly." (143)

No comments:

Post a Comment