Sunday, April 3, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
(Goodreads)
The remarkable story of Tsukuru Tazaki, a young man haunted by a great loss; of dreams and nightmares that have unintended consequences for the world around us; and of a journey into the past that is necessary to mend the present. It is a story of love, friendship, and heartbreak for the ages.
I think it was highly appropriate that I read 80% of this novel on the train. Part of me would like to think that Murakami's main character, Tsukuru Tazaki, would have liked that.

I couldn't hold myself back from reading other's reviews on Goodreads and I'll agree with a majority of them: Murakami tends to repeat the protagonist. A regular, usually unmarried, self-depreciating sort of guy who describes cooking his own meals and probably listens to jazz at some point in the novel.

And I have to be honest: I'm not tired of it (yet). Murakami has such a great and painful way of describing feelings that I've been unable to put into words. More than once I had to stop myself while reading, because the realization that he just put my tangled strings of thought into even more painfun (and actual) words was too much for me to handle.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki Art

Needless to say, this book came into my life at such a perfect time. I really needed to know that someone out there felt like under all the layers of 'personality', all the things that make them 'them', there might not be anything underneath it all. It's a frightening thought, and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki made me feel a little less alone.

I know this review is really unlike my other ones, but I think trying to pull this book apart at this point in my life would be too much to handle.

(I'm fine! In case this all sounds really cryptic.)



No comments:

Post a Comment