Thursday, September 10, 2015

Book Review: Drown by Junot Diaz

Drown by Junot Diaz
(Goodreads)

So I read this hours after I finished Diaz' This Is How You Lose Her. I'm not entirely sure if it was a good idea to read them back to back but my best friends had my other books from my BooksFree.com order (I changed my subscription to four books a month!) and I was eager to dive into a new world. 

But new world? Not so much. Drown is another collection of short stories similar to This Is How You Lose Her. I would even go as far as calling it a prequel (or sequel, depending in which order you read them). We meet Yunior again, this time at a younger age before all the girls, all the cheating, and all the pain associated with love. 

However, after some extensive talks with my best friends/roommates, I'm not entirely sure that all the stories connect to Yunior, and that's both confusing and exciting. It makes me wonder if I'm reading alternate versions of someone's life or if I'm reading about someone who simply happens to share the same name as a previous narrator. 

Drown is beautifully written and it's not hard to see why it's a national bestseller. It captures snapshots of immigrant life in such a lyrical and innocent way that it's hard to forget about it. 
Memorable Quote
"At the end of the month she got her hair cut short. No more straighteners, no more science fiction combs.
     I like that, I told her. I was coming back from the liquor store and she was on her way out with a woman friend.
     Makes you look fierce.
     She smiled. That's exactly what I wanted." 


No comments:

Post a Comment